Friday, August 12, 2011

John 6:35-36. I am the bread of life

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe.

Jesus at last speaks plainly. This is the first of the great "I am" statements in John's gospel. He is still speaking in metaphor but the metaphor is being unpacked. Note it is not those who eat and drink that will have their hunger and thirst satisfied, but 'those who come to him' and 'those who believe'.

He had previously admonished those at Jerusalem for their unbelief; now he admonishes his fellow Galileans. They had seen the miracles, they had fed their bellies, but this had not brought forth faith, only a political vigor to crown Jesus as King.

No comments: