Tuesday, August 02, 2011

John 6:16-18. Life without Jesus.

When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough.

The disciples were left alone without Jesus. It was dark, windy and rough. Perhaps I am spiritualizing it but that is life without him. As they spend time on the lake, even these fishermen become afraid.

In the evening services at Lansdowne we are currently going through the book of Ecclesiastes which describes a life without God; it is truly terrifying. I remember my time at University. Although I had friends I was so lonely. Life seemed to have no purpose and I lived in despair every day. Many will have similar experiences. Men sink into addiction; women into prostitution. Darkness consumes them. Their lives are storm-tossed until eventually they sink beneath the waves.

The remedy is Jesus who treads disdainfully over all life's troubles. I have overcome the world, he says.

No comments: