Tuesday, June 14, 2011

John 4:35-38 Harvesting

Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. Even now the one who reaps draws a wage and harvests a crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. Thus the saying ‘One sows and another reaps’ is true. I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.”

Yesterday I had a busy day actually doing some work on a conference call so I posted something on evangelism from my archives, but it was relevant to our passage for today.

Songs of Praise on Sunday cam from Nottingham where several large city-center churches provided a strong evangelical witness in the city. In Bournemouth, Lansdowne Baptist Church was once by far the largest congregation, but today we have churches taking over Bingo Halls, Theaters and DIY warehouses. I detect the Holy Spirit moving in the UK this Pentecost. Jesus tells his disciples to "reap what you have not worked for". The Holy Spirit has done the work; we are the harvesters.

No comments: