Sunday, May 22, 2011

John 3:25

An argument developed between some of John's disciples and a certain Jew over the matter of ceremonial washing

Why do Christians engage in petty arguments? Infact or adult baptism? Pre- or post-millennium? Transubstantiation? Does the Spirit come from the Father or from the Father and the Son? Creation v evolution? and many other disputes.

In his old age John had one commandment for Christians, "Love one another." Yet through the years thousands of Christians have had their blood shed over what are in the end irresolvable disputes. CS Lewis was of the opinion that many of the disputes among Christians were semantic ones that when the time of resolving came (in heaven) both opinions will be seen as approximations to teh truth that was not expressable in human terms.

I have my views on many of the disputes but I'm not going to war on any of them. If I can gain some benefit from someone else's view, all well and good; if I cannot then I shall keep quiet for the sake of peace.

No comments: