I saw the oncologist today. This course I am having an extra week without treatment to allow the side effects to abate before embarking on course #6. The colic and diarrhea continued until Tuesday (day 18), so I do think it was a good idea. I am finally able to withdraw the Buscopan, so I hope my tachycardia will diminish.
Course 6 starts on Saturday and then I get a 4-week delay before course 7. After Christmas I will revert to 2-weekly courses depending on whether I can stand the side effects. We also talked about maintenance treatment. There is some evidence that this will prolong remissions, but we must decide which regimen to use. The oncologist seems to favor irinotecan at a lower dose and less intensity. We shall see.
At least he thought that this wouldn't be my last Christmas.