Friday, August 06, 2010

Unwanted Books

There are now only two secondhand bookshops in the Bournemouth/Poole conurbation, a city of half a million people. In part this is due to the Internet. You can buy any number of used books at Amazon market place. In part it is due to Charity shops, of which there are scores, who all seems to have a secondhand book department.

One of the secondhand book dealers came around last evening to look at some 500 books I want to dispose of. He wasn't interested. He recognized that they were all good and interesting books in good condition, but he had no space on his shelves. Indeed he told me that he gives 500 books away to Oxfam every week.

I am afraid I shall have to follow his example though my charity of choice is the British Heart Foundation - my mother has just been taken into hospital with atrial fibrillation at the age of 90.

No comments: