Friday, October 24, 2008

Health update

I saw the surgeon today and we discussed what to do about the lymph node that could be seen on the CT. Thus far we have no explanation for it. Carcinoma and carcinoid seem to be ruled out. My favored explanation is that the NSAID I was taking was causing inflammation of the colon and this was a node reacting to the inflamation. Alternatively it could be an old TB node - I had a positive Mantoux when I was a teenager. Other possibilities could be lymphoma, though a single node just there would be very unusual and as a long shot, carcinoid producing something other than serotonin. I have hypercalcemia and parathormone producing carcinoids have been described. The options are laparoscopic biopsy now or repeat the CT scan in 3 months. I have opted for the latter, because even laparoscopy has a definite morbidity and I'm not sure that it is going to alter management

Increasingly abnormalities are being discovered on screening tests that don't amount to a hill of beans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The f/u CT is definitely the wise choice!

DWCLL

Anonymous said...

We will trust and believe that this will be nothing more than a "hill of beans", Dr. Hamblin.

I know the waiting, at times, can be agonizing. Yet, I also am certain that you know and serve the same Lord and Savior that I do and He will offer you His perfect peace.

Stacie

early 60s professional living in Jersey exurbia said...

I also vote for the "Hill of beans" options, my friend. No, wait, I pray for that option....
Being a doc and having anything wrong medically is difficult, we know too much. I have been living well with CLL for over 10 years and am a former pediatrician. In solid remission now and just the other day I felt a slightly enlarged cervical lymph node on the right and immediately started thinking (but only for a second) that I was now going through a Richters transfomration...hey it could happen....