Thursday, March 10, 2011

Health

I am just getting over my 10th (19th overall) course of chemotherapy. Only two to go! By now I am used to the side effects. By the end of the 46 hour infusion I am exhausted and just want to sleep and this persists until the end of day 5. After that I begin to get a little more lively, though I am still easily tired, having to rest after any exertion (including eating). From then on I get abdominal symptoms of bloating, wind and colicky pains. Today is day 10 and I am beginning to feel better, though still bloated. By day 14 I shall feel almost normal and then I start again. I still have the remnants of a cold hanging on which intensifies the symptoms.

Saturday is my birthday; I shall be 68. When I got the diagnosis I didn't expect to live this long. Now I have hopes of making my three score years and ten.

8 comments:

James said...

Dr. Hamblin - first, early tidings on your upcoming birthday!! Second, do you mind sharing what kind of cnacer you are receiving chemo for? I am sorry if I have missed it elsewhere...

Terry Hamblin said...

I have metstatic well differentiated adenocarcinoma first picked up in a lymph node adjacent to the caecum. No promary was ever discovered but it is presumed to be caecum or appendix.

John Escott said...

Happy birthday, Terry. It`s mine on the 12th, too, but I`ll be 71. My health is somewhat better than yours, although I`ve now got Parkinson`s as well as polycythemia (happy days!), but I wish you all the best, and that you do much better than your three score and ten.
John

James said...

Dr. Hamblin,

Very sorry to hear of this. I will add my voice to the chorus of voices wishing you long life and good health well beyond 3 score and ten!

MS said...

Happy Birthday.

May He give you many more birthdays to celebrate with family and friends.

Debbie said...

Dr. Terry,

I have been following your blog for years and think of you as a friend. Happy Birthday! Much love to you and many good years to come.

Debbie

Daniela Soave said...

A belated happy birthday to you dear Terry, and long may your continue to celebrate birthdays. Your blog is a huge support, God bless you!

Anonymous said...

A day late, but still wishing you the happiest of birthdays and many more. Thanks for all you do.

Lynn S.