Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Healthcheck

Today I had my Hickman line replaced on the other side. I had had Augmentin for 5 days since the other one came out. Augmentin is not pleasant causing colic and diarrhea, but having had the line removed and the abdominal symptoms subsided I am feeling a lot better with much more energy. I think the next chemotherapy will be next Monday.

I have managed to complete a 1000 piece jigsaw with my wife - one piece missing! and I have started a book by Tom Wright, the Bishop of Durham, Virtue Reborn.

In the meantime I have read a John LeCarre from a few years back. Our Game is about two spies who were retired when the Soviet Union fell, but they can't leave well alone and get involved with a rebel movement in the Caucasus. LeCarre seems to be supporting the Blairite interventionist line (Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, Sierra Leone) but it seems to me that it is impossible to tell which of the combatants has right on their side. As usual the story is about betrayal and involves betraying a friend, a lover, and a country.

We seem to be watching a lot of Sherlock Holmes recently. I watched the recent movie starring Robert Downey Jr and an old one Without a Clue with Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley. Then we started on the old Basil Rathbone series which has been digitally remastered. I still think that the Jeremy Brett TV series was the best.

1 comment:

Manu Manickvel said...

Absolutely - Jeremy Brett brought to life Holmes as imagined while reading Conan Doyle's portrayal of a real-life genius(of course his brother Mycroft was supposedly the greater) & ACD had modelled him based on his mentor in medical school as is widely known...one of life's strange coincidences that Brett was bipolar in real life...as Holmes certainly was. Dr. T - have you read anything by Erik Erikson - wonderful psychoanalyst.