Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Praying to a real person.

When God communed with Abraham it was spectacular. On at least one occasion He appeared in human form and had a conversation just like any other. When He spoke to Moses it was out of a burning bush that was not consumed. Gideon met an Angel. Samuel heard a voice calling him by name in the night. Elijah heard God as a still, small voice after the wind, earthquake and fire. Daniel saw visions, Joseph dreamed dreams. The disciples lived with Jesus for three years and were able to talk to him about the ordinary things of life.

My prayer life is different. I have never had God come to me in a dream. I have never had a vision. No burning bushes in my neck of the woods; no voices from the clouds; no Angels have come calling on me and I've never been in an earthquake.

What would you give for a conversation with Jesus?

Yet this is what Jesus said to the disciples who had that privilege, "It is for your good that I am going away." (John 16:7)

What could be better than the actual living and breathing presence of Jesus? This sounds like a bit of flannel to keep their spirits up; making the best of a bad job. The enemy was closing in. Jesus knew he was going to be captured and executed. He was consoling his followers.

But no. He continues, "Unless I go away, the Counsellor will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you."

He means the Holy Spirit. He actually means that we are better off having the Holy Spirit than we would be having the physical presence of Jesus. Think about it.

No comments: